|The Parliament Buildings, built of stone in
Gothic revival style, are among Canada's
architectural treasures. The original Centre
Block was built in the early 1860s, but was
destroyed by fire in 1916. Of the original
building, only the Library of Parliament survived
(the conical shaped portion at left). The rest
was rebuilt from ground up. To either side of the
Centre Block are the East and West Blocks built
between 1859 and 1895. Members of Parliament have
offices in the East, West and Centre Blocks, as
well as in the Confederation Building. Other
offices providing support services to Parliament
are on the south side of Wellington Street.
After the 1916 fire.